Sunday, December 10, 2006

Photo of the Future Children's Garden Location

Here's the future location of the children's garden. The area over in the corner, currently covered in gravel, measures about 18 x 22 feet. I have a LOT of work ahead of me, but I have been researching children's gardens and have many ideas. The two greatest resources I have found are the following books:
Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children by Sharon Lovejoy
A Child's Garden: Enchanting Outdoor Spaces for Children and Parents by Molly Dannenmaier
I know I can't do everything I want at first, but here are some of the ideas I have:
  • a playhouse located in the middle of the garden
  • separate smaller plots of varying themes (sensory garden, fairy garden, picking garden, eating garden)
  • a vine-covered teepee in which children can sit inside (with hanging gourds?)
  • plants I am especially interested in: pumpkins, sunflowers, gourds, and nasturtium

I hope we can start really working on the garden around February or March, when the weather warms up a bit.

No comments: