Monday, April 02, 2007

Almost Done with Garden Setup

This was yet another weekend of spending most of our days setting up the garden. We all worked super-hard and were as a result super-tired. Sven dug holes and placed the rest of the cement borders, so the beds are ready for planting.

Josephine helped me to build the arbor, on which we hope to grow hanging gourds. She was extremely helpful and great with a screwdriver. Sven dug 15 inch deep holes and placed the arbor.


Then on Sunday, after allowing the paint to dry for 72 hours indoors (all over my kitchen and laundry room!), I dug shallow holes in which to set the stepping stones, and then I planted baby tears and creeping thyme all around the stones. Hopefully the plants will not only take, but will also spread out, filling out the gaps. The steps read welcome, sprout, grow, bloom, thrive, and flourish.



And here is the nearly complete garden! It's waiting for wood chips for the paths, for the bamboo teepee, for the peach tree to be planted, and of course, for plants!


Also this weekend I did a lot of weeding, planted lily of the valley under the orange tree, started painting the children's adirondack chair, and I finished filling in the woodchips around the raspberry plants. And best of all, I received my reimbursement check from the 4 C's. This check covers all the start-up costs I paid in order to get the license (licensing fees, childproofing supplies, safety equipment, etc.).

No comments: