Tuesday, August 21, 2007

First Day of Kindergarten . . . and of the Afterschool Program!!!

No words can accurately express my excitement as a parent on this, my only child’s first day of kindergarten, but then again, I don’t have to even try, as any parent can surely understand the momentousness of this occasion. I made Josephine’s dress myself, as I’d found this adorable fabric covered in a pattern of little matryoshka dolls. She proudly picked out her lunchbox, Hello Kitty. I tried to convince her of the merit of other lunchboxes, but this was our compromise to replace her first choices, Barbie and Bratz. Sigh.





Right away at school we ran into Georgia, who happens to be in the same class as Josephine, and will be spending Friday afternoons with us after school.


Then on our way to the classroom, we ran into Miss Bonnie, their teacher!

Josephine and Georgia settled immediately into play without a care as to where their parents were.


Josephine was thrilled to discover that her kindergarten classroom had its very own dress up area, as this is one of her favorite pastimes.


Miss Bonnie then led the children in a “Goodbye Parents” song, and we all reluctantly left the room.

I then attended the coffee that the PTA held for kindergarten parents, and afterwards gravitated back to the classroom area for a little bit of spying, which paid off. I caught a glimpse of Josephine’s class on a little tour of the school with their teacher.


Georgia spotted me and gave me a friendly wave.

And then Josephine saw me as well, and said hello, continuing happily on her way with her class.

After school Orianna, also in Miss Bonnie’s class, came home with us. The girls started off with a snack of Goldfish, string cheese, and grapes.



After playing for a while, they did some watercolor painting.




I don’t think I could ever lose my fascination with children’s art, so here is a sampling of today’s masterpieces.



Girl, by Orianna



Rainbow, by Orianna



Monkey in a Cage, by Orianna





Tiger, by Orianna




Falling Sky, by Josephine




Mickey Mouse, by Josephine


No comments: